Solving School Avoidance: Strategies for Schools
September 23, 2019
Christopher J. Leonard, MSW, LCSW, M.ED
In this episode, Chris Leonard talks with Linda McGovern, a mental health clinician embedded full time in the Randolph, New Jersey public school district. Linda has worked effectively with many students struggling with school avoidance, and offers advice and specific strategies that schools can use to transition these students back to school.
- How to build a support team (and who should be on it).
- Why a disciplinary approach doesn’t work (and what works better).
- The role and responsibilities of an embedded clinician vs. a school counselor.
- The key to success with family involvement.
- Tips for implementing accommodations for school avoidant students.