Creating a Mindset Shift: Mental Health Climate & Culture in Schools
March 18, 2022
This episode of Conversations About Student Mental Health explores the mindset shift that is necessary to create a culture and climate of mental health and wellness in your school. Making this shift is one of three critical facets of maximizing the mental health and wellness of students.
Chris Leonard talks with Dr. Ricki Gibbs, Principal of Warner Arts Magnet Elementary in Nashville, who has assumed stewardship of the climate and culture of mental wellness in his school and is seeing meaningful results. Under Dr. Gibbs’ leadership, Warner transformed from one of the lowest performing schools in the Metro Nashville Public Schools to being the first and only Metro Nashville Public School to be recognized as a Blue Ribbon Beacon School in 2021.
- Why schools must support students’ emotional wellbeing along with academics
- The three facets of maximizing mental wellness, and why proactive school leaders need to shift the focus to improve climate and culture
- How trauma-informed practices, including mindfulness, movement, and breathing, can help students develop self-regulating strategies
- How to avoid power struggles and fear tactics that harm everyone
- Giving school staff the tools and training they need for classroom management also helps to build morale and retain staff